Hawaiian Railway Society: Parlor Car 64
In 1900, Oahu Railway & Land Co. founder, Benjamin F. Dillingham, had Parlor/Observation Car No. 64 designed and built especially for himself. No. 64 was the showpiece of the OR&L’s rolling stock.
Built in Honolulu at a cost of $4,388.24, it had a double-size rear platform surrounded by ornate iron grill work and protected from the sun by fluted awnings.
Oak, mahogany and birds eye maple created an interior of luxury. The parlor car was fitted with a galley, lavatory, washstand and sideboard. It was used frequently by the OR&L for visiting dignitaries. The most notable guests were members of the Hawaiian royal family. The observation platform offered guests a chance to feel the cool trade winds, as well as giving them a better view of the landscape.
No. 64 has been restored and is available for charter.
The Locomotive 302
One of Hawaiian Railway’s operational locomotives, this 300 horsepower Whitcomb diesel electric is used to pull the passenger and work trains.
Built: 1944 Weight: 45 tons B-B. Donated by the military in Hawaii.
About Hawaiian Railway Society
The Hawaiian Railway Society works to save Hawaii’s rich railroad history. This educational, non-profit organization was able to get the remaining stretch of track on Oahu (from Ewa to Nanakuli) placed on the State and National Registers of Historic Sites. Visit their website here.
See amazing 360 panoramas from the Island of Molokai here.